Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Taco Soup

This recipe is simple, yet delicious. It is a go-to recipe for me because I just about always have the ingredients on hand. It's a great way to use some of your food storage. And let's face it, you can never have too many soup recipes this time of year.


Taco Soup
1 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion, diced
1 packet taco seasoning
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can corn
1 can black or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
tortilla chips, cheese, and sour cream for garnish

Brown the ground beef with the onion. Add in about half the taco seasoning and 2-3 Tbs. of water once the meat is cooked and the onion is translucent. (At this point I always wish I would have made double to freeze half for tacos later.) Drain off the grease. Dump the meat mixture in a crockpot with the tomatoes and juices, corn and juice, beans, and the rest of the taco seasoning. Add about 1/2 cup water and stir. Don't add too much water as it will get waterier as the tomatoes cook down. Cook on low until ready to serve. Serve with crushed tortilla chips, cheese, and sour cream on top.
* You, of course, can do this on the stove but I prefer to do the work in the morning and know that my dinner is ready to go.

2 comments:

Heather said...

McKenna was just telling me about a fabulous taco soup recipe that Jill makes. This wouldn't be the same one, would it? Looks delicious.

Julie said...

You know, I don't remember. I remember either Tyler or McKay made it for a cousin's dinner once, but I don't remember how it was different or the same. I do remember that it was yummy!