Thursday, October 28, 2010

Rolo Pretzel Turtles

This one comes from Stephanie's Tried and True cook book again, courtesy of my aunt Betty. When I saw that it combines my favorite candy with my favorite nut and one of my favorite snacks, I was sold. So easy to make and even easier to make disappear! Perfect for gifting. My husband's taking these in cute little Halloween bags to his home teachees.
Rolo Pretzel Turtles
Rolos-I used 5 packs. There's 8 in a pack.
Pecan halves-I bought 1/3 lb. from the bulk bin and it was more than enough
Pretzels-the little twisty ones, not the sticks!

Preheat your oven to 200. Line a cookie sheet with foil. Lay out 40 pretzels in a single layer. Top each pretzel with a Rolo. "Bake" for 5 minutes. They will be glossy ad soft but still retain their shape.
Press a pecan into each Rolo. Work quickly or the caramel will begin to harden. Let the "turtles" harden in the fridge. Enjoy!

6 comments:

Carly said...

You mean press a pecan into each Rolo, right? And this is so my kind of recipe, thanks for sharing!!

Nate and Julie said...

yup, that's what I meant. That's what I get for writing that one at 10 pm last night!

Stephanie said...

oh Nat and my mom make these- SO GOOD!!!! love your food blog. i make your peach cobbler all the time. actually, everything you submitted to that recipe book gets pretty heavy rotation around here. you are awesome!

Grandma Honey said...

I am not familiar with pretzels very much, so would you mind telling us what brand you used for these? I want to try them today. If they turnout I will make them for YW in Excellence this week. Thanks Julie!

Julie said...

Jill, I think they were Snyder's. Good luck, I'm sure the girls will love them!

Grandma Honey said...

This is my 3rd or 4th attempt to comment again, so I hope this one goes through. (blogger can be funny that way) But I wanted to tell you that I made these yesterday and they are SO CUTE! I love recipes like this. I want to make them next week with my grandchildren. I bought 2 different kinds of pretzels but the mini ones worked the best.