Monday, October 18, 2010

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

I'm not really sure where the term "Whoopie Pie" comes from, but I've seen several different versions of this floating around cyberspace. I had to try them, and they did not disappoint. This particular version came from marthastewart.com because Martha has never steered me wrong.


(I left some an single cookies so they wouldn't be so GIANT!)

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Cream Cheese Frosting
Cookies:
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
2 Tbs. ground cinnamon
1 Tbs. ground ginger
1 Tbs. ground cloves
(I used 1 Tbs. pumpkin pie spice and 1 to 1 1/2 Tbs. cinnamon instead of the cinnamon, ginger, and cloves listed above)
2 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar (I used light)
1 cup vegetable oil
3 cups pumpkin puree
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
Frosting:
1/2 cup softened butter
8 oz. cream cheese
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. Whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. In another bowl whisk together brown sugar, and oil. Then add pumpkin. Whisk until combined. Whisk in eggs and vanilla until well combined. Finally, whisk in the flour mixture until fully incorporated. Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet or cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake until just starting to crack and toothpick comes out clean. (about 15 minutes) Let cool completely.

Beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add in sifted powdered sugar. Then stir in vanilla until smooth.
Assemble cookies by generously frosting the flat bottom of one cookie and topping with another. Refrigerate about 30 minutes before serving.

2 comments:

Monica said...

YUMMY! I ordered a whoopie at Corner bakery after women's conference a couple of weeks ago, and it was TO DIE FOR! Thanks for the recipe!!!

Brittney said...

Julie-you're right, it did make plenty. They were delicious. That frosting is to die for. I'm sure I'll be using it for other things, too. Now I think I need to try those Chubby cookies!