Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

 This recipe came via a recommendation from my cousin Monica. She and her friends have a food blog thequeensofthekitchen.blogspot.com that this comes from. The original recipe is Ina Garten's, so of course it's gonna be good! My mom suggested roasting the squash first. So we had this as a side dish, then a couple days later it was soup! I'll give you Ina's original recipe, followed by my adjustments below.
Winter Squash Soup- Ina Garten (Straight from the cookbook-Barefoot in Paris)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 small or one large)
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut in chunks
3 cups Homemade chicken stock or canned broth
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup half and half
Creme fraiche, grated Gruyere, or croutons for serving (optional)

Heat the butter and oil in a heavy-bottomed stockpot, add the onions, and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, or until translucent. Add the pumpkin puree, butternut squash, chicken stock, salt and pepper. cover and simmer over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes, until the butternut squash is very tender. Process the mixture through the medium blade of a food mill. Return to the pot, add the half-and-half, and heat slowly. If the soup needs more flavor, add another teaspoon of salt. Serve hot with garnishes, if desired.

My adjustments (I'm sure the original recipe is amazing as is, but these are more for simplicity's sake.)
-I used whole milk because who has half and half on hand? Not I. But thanks to my husband and child we always have whole milk.
-I topped with sour cream and croutons again because who has Gruyere and creme fraiche? I'm sure it would be extra yummy with bacon bits. Mmmmmm!
-I blended it in my blender.  This can be a little tricky with the hot liquid. Be sure to only fill the blender about halfway and be sure to leave a way for the steam to escape. (I left the lid off but covered it with a towel to avoid spills.) I'm sure an immersion blender would be very handy in this instance as well.
-As mentioned above I roasted the squash first and served it as a side dish. This accomplished a few things:
1. I was able to use the squash for 2 meals 2. I cut the recipe in half and had just enough for the two of us plus some leftovers instead of TONS of leftovers. 3. I was able to cut down the time I cooked the soup because the squash was already tender when I added it.
To roast the squash simply peel, chop, toss with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and brown sugar. Bake at 375 until tender and slightly carmelized.

 Thank you Queens of the kitchen and of course, Ina!

No comments: