Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Best French Toast

I think I have already mentioned on this blog how much I LOVE French toast. So when I saw that this claims to be the BEST French toast, I was a little skeptical. But I will say, I would have to agree. It is a little more work than just dipping your bread in eggs, but so worth it. This recipe also comes from Stephanie's Tried and True recipes. Thank you Lizzie Heiselt of Brooklyn, New York for submitting it. Serve this with warm maple syrup, a side of bacon, hash browns, eggs, fruit and juice. It doesn't get any better than that! (What can I say? I like a big breakfast. I get it from my father.)

(image courtesy of google images and pinchmysalt.com)

The Best French Toast
1 large egg
2 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted + more for skillet
3/4 cup milk
2 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbs. sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt
4-5 slices thick sliced bread or 6-8 slices sandwich bread

Heat your skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes. Meanwhile beat the egg in a shallow pan or pie plate. Then whisk in the melted butter, then milk and vanilla, and finally sugar, flour, and salt. Continue whisking until smooth. Soak bread without over saturating (30-40 seconds per side depending on thickness of the bread.) Allow excess to drip off as pull each slice out of the batter. Swirl 1 Tbs. butter in hot skillet. Cook bread until golden brown, about 1 1/2 minutes on first side, less on second side. Serve immediately.

No comments: