Friday, October 22, 2010

Onion rings and dipping sauce

So I can't really take credit for this since it was from a mix. But these were ridiculously good, so I had to share a good find. I found this mix at my local Sprouts Farmer's Market. I love a good onion ring with a Tumpura style batter rather than a crumbly breading.

This is all that was left before I remembered to take a picture because they were that good. (And while I could have eaten the whole batch myself, I did have plenty of help!)
I found a recipe for the dipping sauce on allrecipes.com. I liked this sauce, but I wish it had a little more of a kick to it. Next time I would probably add more horseradish or a splash or two of hot sauce.


Onion Rings with dipping sauce
2-3 medium YELLOW onions (yellow onions tend to be a little sweeter) cut into rings
Tempura style onion ring batter mix
water
oil for frying
Cook onion rings according to instructions on the batter mix

Sauce:
1/2 cup sour cream
2 Tbs. ketchup
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 tsp. finely grated raw horseradish (I used prepared horseradish, maybe the raw stuff would have given it the kick I was looking for)
1/4 tsp. paprika

Mix well and chill before serving.

1 comment:

Matt and Ness said...

mmm. I WANT these right now!