Friday, October 15, 2010

Sundried Tomato Pasta

My mom has been making this recipe for years. It is a family favorite. After drying all those tomatoes I figured the natural thing to do with them would be to make Mom's signature recipe. There's not a lot of measuring going on in her kitchen, so I'll do the best I can to estimate. This one has a lot of similarities to my Garden Pasta, in fact this is where the inspiration for that one came from. If you use whole grain pasta, I would qualify this one as a perfect recipe!

(This picture doesn't really do it justice. I promise there are lots of sundried tomatoes in there!)

Sundried Tomato Pasta
1 lb. spaghetti or spaghettini
1 lb. chicken cut into bite-sized pieces (I like tenderloins)
1 yellow or brown onion diced
olive oil
parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small jar sundried tomatoes with oil or about 1/4 cup homemade sundried tomatoes
*If you are using homemade, rehydrate them in warm water or olive oil for a couple of hours until they plump up some.

Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted water. Cook the chicken, onion, and garlic in olive oil. Chop the sundried tomatoes. Toss the onion, chicken, garlic, tomatoes, and oil the tomatoes were packed in with the warm pasta. Serve with lots of freshly ground pepper and Parmesan cheese on top.
So simple, yet so delicious!

2 comments:

Grandma Honey said...

Another recipe I'm going to try.

We have recently started eating only whole grain pasta and we have found out we actually like it better. Years ago when I use to cook with it, it seemed so grainy and the strong flavor would dominate the other flavors. I think they make whole grain pasta differently now, because it seems milder and goes so well with everything we have tried.

Cyndy and George said...

Your mom gave me this recipe years ago and I LOVE it! Of course I've never dried my own tomatoes, but maybe some day. Julie, I LOVE love love your food blog! Thank you for keeping life so yummy!!!