Thursday, December 16, 2010

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread

So I love pumpkin bread, but my husband only likes it with chocolate chips. I went with it, everything's better with chocolate, right? So you can always omit the chocolate chips, but why would you do that? My 15 month old LOVED this stuff. It's ok to give her bread for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, right? Even if this so called "bread" is half sugar? As long as it was in the house, it was all she would eat. Even though ever loaf I made sank in (it's the altitude) I didn't mind because it was crunchy on top and moist in the middle. Let's just say it didn't last long t our house. This recipe comes from allrecipes.com.
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
3 cups sugar (yes you read that correctly)
3 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbs. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
(I subbed 1 1/2 Tbs. pumpkin pie spice for the 3 above spices)
1 (16 oz) can pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and mix well. Combine dry ingredients. Stir into creamed ingredients until just moistened. Stir in pumpkin. Then stir in chocolate chips. Pour into 2 greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pans. (I did 4 mini loaves.) Bake at 350 until toothpick in the middle comes out with just a few moist crumbs. About 1 hour for regular loaves, 30-40 minutes for the mini ones.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Funny, my husband only likes pumpkin bread if it DOESN'T have chocolate chips in it. The altitude is what does that to your bread. Add an extra 1/4 cup of flour or so and a little less baking soda/powder and your bread will turn out perfect every time.