Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Crescent Rolls

So originally I was planning on making the Lion House Rolls. But the day I planned on making them I realized I did not have any powdered milk. So I went hunting for a new recipe and I'm so glad I did. These are Featherlight Overnight Rolls from the Mormon Rcipes Cookbook we got for our wedding. While they do take some advanced preparation, I love that you don't have to knead the dough and they really do turn out feather-light. You have to trust me that these are super easy. I wish they would have been a little bit sweeter, not sweet like a cinnamon roll dough, but still slightly sweeter. Besides that, I think this is a perfect recipe!
(photo courtesy of tasteofhome.com)
Feather-light Overnight Dinner Rolls
1 cup water
1 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. salt
1 cup cold water
2 (.25 oz) packages yeast
1/2 cup warm water
4 beaten eggs
7 1/2 cups flour
butter for spreading (about 6 Tbs.)

In a large pot bring 1 cup water to boil. Add the 1 cup butter, sugar, and salt. Remove from the heat. Add the 1 cup cold water. Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water (not hot or it will kill the yeast). When first mixture is luke warm add yeast mixture and beaten eggs. Stir briefly. Add flour and stir together. Cover pan with the lid and refrigerate overnight. When ready to roll out, divide dough in thirds. Lightly flour your work surface. Roll out each third of dough into a large circle about 1/2 inch thick. Spread dough lightly with butter. (I melted 2 Tbs. for each sectioon of dough and brushed it on.) Cut dough into 12 wedges and roll each wedge up starting with the wide end, to form a crescent shape. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise for 4 hours. Bake at 400 degrees fro 12 minutes, until lightly browned.

No comments: