Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Chocolate Caramel Oatmeal Bars

I wish these had a better name but they don't, so let's just call them yumminess. I made these last year and my husband took some to work. He came home that day saying everyone was singing my praises and I had been named the best wife. Well, that's a tough title to live up to, but I try by making these as often as I can (which equates to about once a year!) I am taking these to a cookie exchange I am a part of tomorrow night. They are sure to be a hit!
*Update, the day after I made these my husband's boss asked when I was going to make those chocolate caramel things I made last year. So of course he took her some the next day. Whatever makes the boss happy!

this recipe comes from The Essential Mormon Cookbook by Julie Badger Jensen

Chocolate Caramel Oatmeal Bars

1 ½ cups flour
1 ½ cups old-fashioned oats
¼ tsp. salt
½ tsp. baking powder
1 ½ cups packed brown sugar
1 cup plus 2 Tbs. butter or margarine, melted
1 (14 oz) bag caramels (about 48)
½ cup whipping cream
1 (12 oz) package milk chocolate chips

In a large bowl combine the first 6 ingredients to form a crumbly mixture. Unwrap caramels. Melt caramels and whipping cream in a saucepan over low heat. Sprinkle half of crumbly mixture into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes.

Sprinkle chocolate chips over baked mixture and top with melted caramel mixture.

Sprinkle remaining crumbly mixture on top. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

Make a day ahead or several hours ahead to allow time for the caramel to set. Makes 2 dozen bars.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I don't know, I think Bars for the Bishop had a nicer ring to it. I am excited to try these. Tomorrow, when I'm not so full from all the amazing cranberry cream cheese spread you made...

Kkelly said...

Just had one of these after my lunch- whoa! This one is a keeper. Thanks Julie!