Thursday, December 2, 2010

Apple Pie

Of course there are a million different recipes for apple pie, but this one is my favorite. It takes a little extra work, but it makes a great pie! I got this recipe from my cooking class at BYU (best class I ever took!). I remember the instructor telling us that a traditional apple pie will have a gap between the apples and the top crust because the apples shrink down as they bake, but this method does away with that. I always do a lattice crust on my apple pie because I think it's pretty and fun to do. I don't just make this pie at Thanksgiving time. I make it whenever my little heart desires. While apple pie is not may favorite type of pie (more on that tomorrow) I have a hard time resisting a good slice of homemade apple pie. Enjoy!




Fresh Apple Pie

4 cups fresh apples ( I always use Granny Smith) peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices--I usually peel them with my potato peeler then core and slice with my apple slicer and then finally cut each of those slices into 2 or 3 thinner slices.
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg (optional--I usually leave it out because I don't have it on hand)
3 Tbs. cornstarch
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup apple juice
2 Tbs. bottled lemon juice
dough for one double pie crust

Put peeled, cored, and sliced apples into medium microwave safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 5 minutes. Shake bowl and microwave further until apples are tender, but not mushy. Drain off any liquid. Combine dry ingredients in medium saucepan. Add water, apple juice, and lemon juice. Cook on medium heat until thick and bubbly. Fold in drained apples. Turn whole mixture into unbaked pie crust. Cover with top and seal edges well. If using a solid crust on top, prick for ventilation. Brush lightly with milk and sprinkle with sugar (coarse sugar is best). Bake at 400 for 30-35 minutes.

1 comment:

Grandma Honey said...

Apple pie IS my favorite, so as soon as the vegetable club brings me some Granny Smiths, I will be making this. Thanks Julie!