Monday, February 14, 2011

Chicken Cordon Bleu in a crockpot

So the only way my family stayed alive during the last several weeks is thanks to my crock pot. I love being able to throw something in in the morning and not think about it again until right before dinner. So I decided to do a week dedicated to my favorite crock pot meals.

I found this one on thequeensofthekitchen.blogspot.com, a blog my cousin Monica collaborates with some friends on. I love chicken cordon bleu and while this is far from the classic, it has all the flavors and is oh so easy and yummy! So here's a great spin on a classic. Just cook some rice and throw together a salad and you have dinner!

Chicken Cordon Bleu in a crockpot

8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used 7 or 8 tenderloins and it was plenty for us, the missionaries, and leftovers)
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp white pepper (or black)
1 tsp dried thyme leaves   (I omitted)
8 thin slices boiled ham
2 onions, chopped (1 was plenty)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 (16 oz) bag baby carrots
1 (16 oz) jar Alfredo sauce
1 (10 oz) can cream of chicken soup
2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
Rice

1. Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and thyme. Wrap a slice of ham around each breast and secure with toothpicks.(My chicken was frozen and I didn't want to mess with pulling toothpicks out at the end, so I skipped them.)

2. Place onion, garlic, and carrots in a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker. Top with wrapped chicken breasts.

3. In medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Pour into slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Serve over rice.

Chicken all seasoned and wrapped
Add the yummy sauce on top.
And that's all the pictures. I guess making sure 2 hungry missionaries had what they needed distracted me from taking a picture of the finished product. Just trust me, it was good.

1 comment:

Grandma Honey said...

Wow, that looks good. Too bad I have the Rozier milk allergy like your Dad. I am very excited that you are making this a crock pot week of recipes. Dennis gave me another crock pot for Valentine's today!