Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Beef Stew

So this is totally cheating because it comes right off the back of the stew packet. But it is a family favorite and it goes in the crock pot and makes the house smell oh so good!

Beef Stew
1 package stew meat (about 1 lb.)
4-5 potatoes, cut into chunks (either peeled or scrubbed first, I prefer skins on)
4-5 carrots, peeled and diced
1 large onion, diced
water (according to package directions)
1 package stew seasoning (McCormick does a good one)

Some packets have you brown the meat first, I've done it both ways. I don't notice much of a taste difference and it's easier to just throw the meat in the crock pot. I would put the potatoes and carrots in the crock pot first, because root vegetables take longer to cook and do better with more contact with the crock pot. Also, then they get all the good meat drippings on them. Then add the onion and meat. Sprinkle on the seasoning packet and pour on the water according to the packet directions. Cover and cook on low for a long time. The longer the better.
(photo courtesy of boudoir magazine via google images)

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

yum! i don't know if i need more meat in my diet or what, but i always crave this! i have some potatoes to use up asap so i think i'll run to the store and grab some stew meat and seasoning this morning! ah, this would be so nice to come home to after teaching this evening. if you have anymore crock pot favorites i am all ears!

Grandma Honey said...

My sons grew up on a crockpot stew made with creamed soups that I had to give up because of the milk. I had no idea McCormick came up with a pkg you add water to. Thanks for letting me know. I will try this!

Stephanie said...

I made it! I made it! My family thanks you :)

Grandma Honey said...

Julie, I have to say I made this last Sunday and it was wonderful! We all loved it, even Elora and Cami. A definite keeper. I am so happy to have beef stew back in our lives. It's been years.

Thank you!!

Nate and Julie said...

I'm so glad they all liked it, Jill. I just bought more stuff to make it again this weekend. It really is the best comfort food.