Monday, November 1, 2010

Carbonara

This is a family classic that my dad picked up during his mission in Italy. I love it, my husband loves it, my brothers love it, my in-laws love it. I pretty much don't know anyone who doesn't love it, so I figured it was time to share it with you.
(picture courtesy of calabriataste.com)
Carbonara
1 lb. spaghetti or spaghettini (I prefer the latter)
1 lb. bacon
1 egg, lightly whisked
parmesan cheese
freshly ground pepper
1/4-1/2 cup half and half or whole milk (optional)

Put a large pot of salted water onto boil. On boiling, add the pasta. While waiting for the water to boil, cut the bacon into small pieces and cook to a crisp. Once pasta is cooked (do NOT overcook) drain and immediately return to the pot. Stir in one whisked egg until it coats the pasta. The heat of the pasta will cook the egg. Then stir in 1/4-1/2 cup parmesan cheese (I lean towards 1/2) until melted. At this point you can add in milk or half and half if you so choose. Toss in bacon and about 1-2 tsp. of the bacon grease (this step is very important). Finally top with lots of freshly ground pepper. Enjoy!

*Note: I grew up eating this dish without the added milk. I love it that way, but sometimes I like it a little richer. Don't feel like you have to add the milk, it is great without it.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love it! You really can never go wrong when bacon s involved. Usually.

Heather said...

Too funny, Julie. My father-in-law also served his mission in Italy and came back with the exact same recipe. I think it was the only meal he ever made for his 6 kids (including my husband) when his wife wasn't home. :-)