Friday, April 1, 2011

Conference Treats and the Final Four!

So I don't know about you, but this weekend is going to be full of General Conference and basketball for us! I made these cute basketball cookies for the big BYU game last week. Unfortunately they did not bring us enough luck and an awesome season came to an end. This idea came from www.ourbestbites.com. They had lots of cute game day ideas. they also had some fun April Fools Day ideas if you are into that kind of stuff. I would recommend going over to check it out! If you are watching the final four this weekend, you can of course customize to whichever team colors you prefer.
I used store-bought plain sugar cookies (shh, don't tell) with the yummy glaze found below, and store-bought blue gel frosting for these babies.
These bad boys were the same cookies with the same icing (dyed orange of course). Then I simply melted chocolate chips, poured the chocolate goodness into a little ziploc baggie, snipped a tiny hole in the corner and piped the lines on.
Start with an x, then add the curves. Tasty, cute, impressive!

Here is the icing recipe I used from www.ourbestbites.com, but I cut the recipe in half  and it was perfect for the 18 cookies I had!
Glace Icing
lb powdered sugar (about 3 3/4 C)
6T whole milk (low-fat actually works, but use whole if you can)
6T light Corn Syrup (6T is equal to 1/4 C plus another 2 T)
1 t extract (I use almond because I use almond in my sugar cookies)


With a whisk, combine sugar and milk until smooth (no lumps!) Then stir in corn syrup and extract.
You will use this same recipe for both glazing and piping. The way it is right now is the consistency you want for glazing. It easily runs off the whisk in a pretty thin drizzle.


Simply spoon a little icing on each cookie and using the back of the spoon gently push icing to the edge. Let it harden some before piping anything on top.

No comments: