Thursday, March 3, 2011

Cream Puffs

These cream puffs are so easy, so versatile, and so fancy looking! I usually fill them with a mixture of pudding and whipped cream or cool whip using a pastry bag. But last time I made them I sliced them open and filled them with my yummy chicken salad for a baby shower. So yummy! This recipe is not original, but I've seen it so many different places that I don't know who to give credit to. Just know that I am not smart enough to come up with this on my own!

*Note: This recipe does not double well. I needed a double batch to have enough for all the chicken salad so I made one batch, and while they were baking I cleaned the pot and made another batch.
 Again, I forgot to take a picture, but this is about the color you are shooting for. This image is courtesy of whatscookingamerica.net via google images.

Cream Puffs
1 cup water
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup flour
4 large eggs

Bring water and butter to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Remove from heat and immediately add all the flour. Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until mixture pulls away from pan and forms a ball. (1-2 minutes) Add eggs one at a time, vigorously beating after each one until smooth. The dough will be a strange consistency. Just trust that as long as it is smooth and consistent throughout, it is correct. Drop by teaspoon or tablespoons full (depending on how large you want them) onto a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400 for 20-30 minutes. Or until puffed and golden. DO NOT open the oven early. It will cause them to collapse. A glass oven door is helpful, but if you don't have one resist looking until 20 minutes into cooking. If they do collapse, it's not the end of the world. The filling will mostly re-inflate them. Once golden brown, remove from oven and let cool completely before filling. Fill as close to serving as possible.

No comments: