Thursday, March 17, 2011

Broccoli Cheese Soup

This one is easy and delicious! I haven't made it in awhile, it almost makes me wish winter would stick around a little bit longer. Wait, did I just say that?! I take it back. There's always next winter! Here's a basic and delicious broccoli and cheese soup to add to your soup repertoire.This recipe comes from The Essential Mormon Cookbook by Julie Badger Jensen.
I realize this isn't a very festive St. Patrick's Day recipe, but it does have some green in it! I have a goal to make a green meal tonight with no food coloring. Wish me luck! I'll let you know how it goes!
(photo courtesy of recipekey.com via google images)

Broccoli Cheese Soup
about 1 lb. fresh broccoli
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
1 cup chicken broth
4 cups milk
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups grated cheddar cheese

Cook broccoli until just tender. Drain and chop, set aside. Saute onion in 1/4 cup butter until tender, set aside. In a large sauce pan prepare white sauce by melting 1/2 cup butter then stir in flour until well blended. Gradually whisk in chicken broth, milk, and salt. Stir constantly until it boils. Cook 1-2 minutes until thickened. Add broccoli and onion. Stir in cheese until melted and combined. Cook briefly over medium heat until it boils again. Serve immediately or keep warm over low heat. Serves 6-8

No comments: