Monday, January 3, 2011

Hashbrowns

I love potatoes! They are plentiful this time of year and most fresh produce is scarce, so they are my go to. Potatoes are the ultimate comfort food. So here is my week long tribute to the one and only potato!
I may have mentioned on here before my deep love for breakfast food. (I get it from my father.) Hashbrowns would have to top the list of favorite breakfast foods for me. Give me some eggs with a side of hashbrowns and bacon and I am one happy girl! I used to buy the big bags of frozen hashbrowns, but now that I know how easy these are, I usually stick to homemade. Generously salted with lots of ketchup, let's be honest, it's like having French fries for breakfast!

Hashbrowns
Potatoes (1-2 per person)
vegetable oil
salt
pepper
ketchup

Peel the potatoes and remove any bruised or rotten parts. Then grate them. I usually just use my cheese grater, but you can also use a grating attachment on your food processor. Then comes the tricky part, you need to squeeze out as much of the moisture as you possibly can. I usually take a handful of grated potatoes and squeeze them between my palms then pat them into a small pancake shape. I'm thinking you can probably squeeze the liquid out with a cheesecloth if you have one then form the potatoes into patties, that might be easier. Whatever method you choose, DO NOT SKIP this step. Removing the moisture is essential to a crispy hashbrown.

Once you have all your patties formed, heat about 1/4 inch of oil in the bottom of a heavy pot or dutch oven. You know the oil is ready when you toss in one little piece of potato and it sizzles. Salt and pepper the potatoes before you cook them. Carefully place the potato patties in the oil and cook until crisp and brown on one side then flip. Only flip them once. Then drain on paper towels and eat with lots of ketchup!

2 comments:

the Rich girl said...

I love potatoes, too. For me, they are the ultimate comfort food.

I was actually talking with my aunt (who is an incredible cook) over the break, and she gave me a couple hash brown suggestions. I've yet to try them, but I'm excited to see what happens.

Ok. She suggested that you should microwave the potatoes before grating them in order to soften them up a little. She also said that using leftover baked potatoes make excellent hash browns.

Have you ever tried either of those things??

Nate and Julie said...

I haven't tried either one, but I might just have to now. Thanks for the tips! I also like to grate a little onion into the hashbrowns. If I ever go out for breakfast I usually order based on what comes with hashbrowns. I love them that much!