Thursday, January 6, 2011

Funeral Potatoes

Ok, so this is kinda cheating because I've already posted this recipe, but a week of my favorite potato recipes would not be complete without funeral potatoes. They are my ultimate favorite way to eat potatoes with the exception of a good French fry. So, sorry for the repeat, but it's worth repeating.

Funeral Potatoes
10-12 good-sized potatoes (I usually use Russet)
1 can each of cream of chicken soup and cream of mushroom or 2 cans cream of mushroom
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1/2-3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
milk
bread crumbs or crushed corn flakes (optional)

Boil, peel, and shred the potatoes. I usually use the shredder attachment on my food processor or I have used a cheese grater. While potatoes are boiling, mix the soups, sour cream, and seasonings. Add milk to the consistency you want. (I usually go for a consistency similar to mayonnaise; not too thick, but not too runny.) Stir in shredded potatoes. Spread the whole thing in a 9x13 casserole dish and top with bread crumbs or crushed corn flakes if you'd like. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes or until edges are bubbly. Remove foil the last 10 minutes. You can also make in advance and keep in the refrigerator, but you will need to allow for 60-75 minutes  in the oven if the potatoes are cold.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

So I tried this recipe today, and when I grated the potatoes they completely fell apart because they were so soft. They would hardly grate. How long do you normally boil your potatoes?

It turned out good, but mine turned out more mashed potatoey than I've had it before. :-)

Julie said...

I wish I could tell you how long to boil them, but it seems to be different every time. I would say to check them every so often until a fork pierces them with a little resistance. Slightly under cooked is better than overcooked because once you add the sauce and bake the casserole the potatoes will soften some more. Good luck!