Friday, July 1, 2011

Easy Apple Dumplings

Do you remember the dessert list I was working on completing last fall? I compiled a list of about 15-20 desserts that I wanted to attempt to make. Apple dumplings were on the list, but I could never get myself to make them because I wasn't really sure how to core an apple without slicing it and without using a special tool. Then I stumbled across this recipe from my favorite girls over at www.ourbestbites.com and this method could not be simpler and they were utterly addicting. I made a half batch for four of us, thinking that 2 per person would be sufficient, but I am still cursing from not having made the whole batch.

Easy Apple Dumplings
2 medium Granny Smith apples
2 cans crescent rolls
2 sticks butter
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
cinnamon (for sprinkling)
12 oz. (1 can) Mountain Dew or Sprite. I used Sprite, but was only able to find it in a larger bottle unless I wanted to buy a six-pack (which I didn't). Whatever form you buy your soda in, just remember that 12 oz. is 1 1/2 cups.

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9×13 pan with non-stick cooking spray. Peel apples and cut into 8ths. I used a vegetable peeler then my apple corer/slicer which just so happens to cut the apple into 8 equal slices. You can, of course, core and slice the apple with a just a knife if you need to.
Open a can of crescent roll dough and carefully separate the dough along the perforations. Place 1/8 of an apple on one segment of dough and then roll/wrap the apple in the dough. (This is where you may need to get a little creative and do a bit of patchwork. Just make sure the apple is sealed inside the dough.) Place in the prepared pan and repeat with remaining apples and dough. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan, melt butter and add sugar and vanilla. Stir to combine. Pour butter/sugar mixture over the apples, then pour the soda, on top of everything. Sprinkle the pan with cinnamon and bake for 40 minutes.
Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and some of the sauce poured on top. If you make the whole batch, plan on sharing. If you make a half batch, I'm sure you can handle it on your own. Your hips might not appreciate it, but your tastebuds will!

No comments: