This is another one of Mel's great recipes over at Mel's Kitchen Cafe. Here is the link to the original recipe.
Chocolate Mint Chip Cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces semisweet or milk chocolate, coarsely chopped or 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet chocolate chips)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut into eight pieces
- 3/4 cup mint chocolate chips, M&Ms, or your favorite flavor baking chip
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, place the chopped chocolate or chocolate chips and the butter. Microwave for one minute at 50% power. Stir. Microwave again for one minute at 50% power and stir well. If the chocolate is not fully melted, continue microwaving in 30 second intervals at 50% power until the chocolate and butter are well combined (don’t overheat the chocolate or it can seize and turn hard and unusable). Let the mixture cool slightly, about 2-3 minutes until it is at room temperature or just slightly warm (but not hot).
- In a large bowl (or in the bowl of an electric stand mixer), combine the chocolate mixture, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Mix on medium speed until combined. Gradually mix in flour mixture on low speed. Fold in mint chips with a wooden spoon.
- Drop dough onto lightly greased baking sheets by tablespoonfuls (or use a cookie scoop) spacing them about 1 1/2 inches apart. If desired, place a few chips on top of the cookie dough balls (even perched slightly on the rounded sides). Bake the cookies until they have slightly flattened and there are a few cracks on the surface, about 13-14 minutes. The cookies will still be soft. Let the cookies sit for 2-3 minutes on the baking sheet before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.